Sydney: Then and Now.
Article in The Cape Breton Star. By Denise Davies. Oct 2014
Living in Sydney in the 50s and 60s the steel plant was right in view of our front yard. We could see the billowing clouds of yellow smoke, hear the sound of the shunting coal cars and of course the “yellow snow” and coal dust on everything. At night we could see the clouds lit up and hear the dumpling slag.
The steel plant and the tar ponds are no more — replaced by the Open Hearth Park which hosted an audience of 15,000 for a recent outdoor Aerosmith concert. The park is an amazing open area with winding trails, a wonderful playground including musical instruments as well as play activities, a variety of sports fields and just minutes from downtown Sydney. No one ever thought that the steel plant and tar ponds would be gone. In fact I remember great fighting to keep the mines and the steel plant. It’s amazing to see green areas and recreation in place of industry, with clear skies and places to play and enjoy for all ages.
Then and now photo – 1957 – 2014
Read the full article in the Cape Breton Star http://thechronicleherald.ca/community/cape-breton/1240503-sydney-then-and-now
Things to do
- Big Fiddle. Cruise ships tie up here. Gift shops. Interesting museum on 2nd floor with culture and heritage of Cape Breton. Flavor on the Water Restaurant. BIg Fiddle Market,
- Open Hearth Park. Amazing restoration of the Steel Plant and Tar Ponds to a recreation area with playgrounds, playing fields, walking trails and greenery. Open Hearth Park
- Flavor Restaurants. Eat out at one or all of the Flavor Restaurants. Flavor on the Water is on the 2nd floor of the Big Fiddle. Enjoy the versatile Florence Sampson at the piano on Friday nights. CB Flavor Restaurants,
- Wentworth Park. Great place for a walk or run. Photo from 1928
- Membertou Heritage Park. Convention Centre, entertainment, restaurant, hotel, shopping, museum. Membertou
- Trip Adviser – Things to Do in Sydney
- Old Sydney Society – museums, lectures and cultural events. Old Sydney
- Things to do – Port of Sydney
- Miners Museum, Glace Bay
- The Savoy Theatre, Glace Bay
Heart of Steel – Video