Last Sunday (April 17, 2011) I saw the Sunday matinee at the Pond Playhouse in Halifax of “An Enemy of the People” – by Henrik Ibsen. Adapted by Arthur Miller. Although the play was written in 1882 the plot is contemporary today involved with issues of science, the environment, the role of the press and politicians and how greed and corruption and self interest wage war with truth that may be uncomfortable or inconvenient.
The excellent cast, staging and production were very professional and engaging in every aspect. Directed by Gisela O’Brien and produced by Bill VanGorder.
This YouTube video gives an insight into the characters and plot and the quality of the production.
The play runs to April 30 2011. Check below for links to dates and tickets.
Having seen the play I was interested to find out that The Theatre Arts Guild (TAG) in Halifax, was established 1931 and is celebrating 80 years of continuous Community Theatre. It is Canada’s oldest continually operating community theatre.
TAG, is a great example of community theatre in Nova Scotia. It is a completely volunteer run organization and has 300+ members who manage and participate in adding this rich component to the cultural life.
The Pond Playhouse which hosts TAG has undergone building developments
and changes – all through the efforts of its volunteers. Each year some new aspect is taken on as a project. For example:
- The new upstairs rehearsal hall above the foyer allows for rehearsing a 2nd play while one is in production. It gives space for some changing and costume storage during a play.
- The new technical and sound room is upgraded with state of the art computerized sound and lighting management
- The new Foyer and reception area gives cast and audience a place to mingle and chat after performances. The mosaic plaque thanks the many sponsors who have supported TAG financially
- The playhouse now seats 95 in comfortable raised seats having an excellent view and hearing from any spot in the house.
Location: Pond Playhouse, 6 Parkhill Road, Halifax, NS.
TAG ticket prices $16 Non members. $13 members / Seniors / Students. Available at Atlantic Superstore or by phone 902-451-1221 or online at www.ticketsatlantic.com
Upcoming at TAG 2011 Spring season
- Laundry and Bourbon / Lone Star
- 80 Years of Musicals
Community Theatre – Halifax area
- Dartmouth Players
- Theatre Arts Guild
- Bedford Players
- Quick as a Wink Theatre Society
Theatre Nova Scotia
Theatre Nova Scotia promotes the interest of theatre province wide www.theatrens.ca
- check out the calendar of What’s On Stage – http://www.theatrens.ca/ExternalInfo/FS_EventCal.htm
- click on a map to see locations of community theatres around Nova Scotia http://www.theatrens.ca/ExternalInfo/FS_TheatreMap.htm
Whether you are living in Nova Scotia or traveling – check out the calendar and locations to find plays that you will enjoy. If you are living near a community theatre – consider getting involved. This could be acting on stage, helping out with props and sets, fundraising or the many other areas. Great way to get involved in the community and have fun.